Sunday, February 28, 2010

I nearly forgot I'm Mortal!


Eighteen days ago on wednesday the 10th of February I broke my foot judo training. I threw my opponent, he held on to me and pulled me to the ground. I was near the wall in the dojo and instead of rolling out of it I stopped myself quickly without thinking and broke my foot. I heard it break but then I second guessed myself. I looked down expecting the worst but everything looked normal. Sensei taped me up and a fight later I decided to call it a night. This happened only four days before my first black belt grading or shodan as it's called.

X-ray taken four days ago. Still not fixed!

Over here the first belt is black. You have to be 14 years old to enter, there are no weight limits and you have to win three fighters and perform 9 or 10 kata techniques. This would have been good fun. Better luck next time.
In Japan some Judo clubs are also a physiotherapy clinic, like my club. So when you break or get injured they help put you back together. Judo is good for business! I have already had acupuncture, electric massages and the likes which is all very helpful and free. Judo has to be one of the most injury prone martial arts.
Anyway this all happened the day before a national holiday. I went to the hospital the next day only for the receptionists to say sorry we're closed today come back tomorrow! What? Is this Japan I asked myself! In times like this, I phone a friend for a second opinion and help with the language barrier. Derry my older brother was on speed dial and a fluent Japanese speaker. He sorted it out as usual and they reluctantly decided to treat me. With no wheel chair or crutches, I hobbled behind the doctor who lead the way for about 500 meters to the x-ray room. Then back across the entire hospital to the x-ray development computer room. He finally confirmed it was broken and only then handed me crutches. I thought that was very backwards!
I have an avulsion fracture to my 5th metatarsal bone. It's connected to a tendon at the tip where the bone cracked. My foot doesn't hurt much if i walk on the inside of my foot but if i put weigh on the outside it's sore and the tendon will pull the bone apart. Lovely! Basically no walking or it won't heal properly.


Break point

Getting injured really makes you appreciate the times when you aren't. I have missed out on snowboarding, mountain biking and kayaking but i have caught up on watching movies and chilling out. I can't wait to get back in my kayak, on my mountain bike and onto my snowboard. But I'm having second thoughts about Judo! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment