Sunday, November 15, 2009

Mie Prefecture

Photo credits : Daisuke san & Shimpei san


It's Sunday the 15th of November. I got up at 5.50am after only two and half hours sleep and set out on yet another kayaking mission. Shimpei san picked me up at 6am and off we went to Mie Prefecture to run Katsura River.

Driving east at sun up. The start of another great day.




The get in point...

We joined forces with Macho san, Chic san (Titti) and the man who found this river about two years ago Daisuke san.
It was the best river I have been on to date in Japan for the quality of whitewater and the beauty of this river. The photos really don't do this river justice.

Some nice strong current at the put-in made for a good warm up.


I couldn't get over the amount of cascading tributary waterfalls, cool wildlife and bamboo all over the place. Little did I know later in the evening I'd actually be eating baby bamboo in a restaurant.


One of the many tributaries feeding into the river...


Everything is different over here. Even the ducks were cooler looking than the River Liffey ducks I'm used to seeing back home at Sluice! I'm still getting used to this country, it's customs and for the whole day I was just in awe and buzzing all day. Lots of new experiences.


The crew scouting the next rapid


One of two rapids we walked after much contemplation as unfortunately we were all in playboats. But there were waves and holes to surf all over the place so you win some you lose some!


The rapid we walked :(



More scouting


So after scouting the rapid on both sides we started walking around it. Chic san dropped his kayak in the water right above the sieved out side of the rapid. I was surprised it made it through in one piece, well almost. After about 20 minutes of fishing I got his kayak out of this little annoying spot.


Working on my kayak fishing skills.

So before each kayak trip the Japanese usually go to a shop to get a river lunch. They always pick what is a famous dish in the region or what is in season. It's a real lunch break, almost like a picnic. Good times.


Shimpei and I hitting some wasabi rice cakes wrapped in lovely and moist seaweed...



Back to business after lunch with wasabi power...



Chic san surfing one of the many wave/holes on the river...

My borrowed Wavesport EZ kayak is in there somewhere too.


The flat sections in between rapids were very beautiful...


Surfing one of the last waves not wanting to leave the river!



So after a days kayaking in Japan, like most kayakers, we hit up a lovely Onsen to warm up. Then on to get some local food in a restaurant. A full set dinner for 850 yen! About 6 or 7 euro. Happy days..


My first time eating a sour fish in Japanese style...bones and all...new experiences, kinda weird though!



I'll end the post with this shot of Chic san. I think he's very happy his boat is still in one piece. And yes they are UFO's in the background. It's Japan, don't ask!


Chic san in the zone

Link to the actual put-in location if you'd like to check this river out....

http://www.mapfan.com/m.cgi?MAP=E136.25.2.6N34.21.44.9&ZM=9

1 comment:

  1. Hi! Moe,
    I'm starting to follow your blogger site and my profile sicture is showed on your blogsite. So please let me know when it is need to arrange. Kenji

    ReplyDelete