Monday, October 26, 2009

Eye of the tiger

The Spirit Cup




You can't touch this....

So this past weekend I was invited along to what has become an annual full on fancy dress kayaking event. It has Dave Carrol written all over it! Anything goes!!




All the kids started crying when he came out...




Group Shot

The competition took place on the beautiful Nagara River in Gifu Prefecture, famous for it's crystal clear water. It is called the Spirit Cup as the owner of Spirit Rafting 'Yoshi' organises this event every year. He was very kind to invite me to the event. I paddled with him during the 2006 North American freestyle kayaking world cup events.





Just a normal kayaking event in Japan. Some of the kids in the crowd were terrified...lol


It whole thing was so funny. I didn't know what was going on. It was all in Japanese and Yoshi would call out the next person up. I was judging and couldn't see who was next. The music would change all of a sudden to something funny and the next person up would jump out from behind a rock wearing a crazy outfit doing a dance. Macho in the red and white outfit was in the crowd one second n normal clothes and in two seconds was a superhero. I don't know how he did it. It reminded me of those funny japanese tv shows with obstacle courses and random funny stuff thrown in there for a good laugh.





Again with the Japanese barrior I had to ask someone what the piece of paper I got was all about. Turned out I came second.


Enjoy the videos below....


Overall event...


Charcoal Beers anyone?



More...


No comments:

Post a Comment